My daughter and I first tried a version of these at our local natural grocery store at a food demo. I modified them to suit my needs and they are a favorite in our house. Messy to eat but so delicious. And it’s super quick and easy – no cooking involved!
Don’t skip the peanut sauce as a topping! Amazing.
- 2 cans chickpeas (I used unsalted), drained
- 1/4 cup scallions or green parts of green onions, finely chopped
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 Tbsp dried rosemary, pulverized with a mortar and pestle (or fresh if you have it!)
- 2 Tbsp white (or red) wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt (omit if chickpeas are salted)
- ground black pepper
- 1/2 head lettuce leaves, for serving
- Peanut Sauce for topping
Combine everything in a bowl. Serve room temperature with lettuce leaves and peanut sauce. Make a mess trying to eat, but enjoy every moment of it!
This is a perfect topping for the lettuce wraps. You can make this peanut-free if you’d like by using all almond butter instead of half almond, half peanut. Or, if you prefer, use all peanut butter. Either way, it’s super quick – no cooking needed.
- 3 Tbsp almond butter (preferably just ground almonds)
- 3 Tbsp peanut butter (preferably just ground peanuts)
- 2 Tbsp reduced-sodium tamari
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tbsp hot water (or more as needed)
Combine everything in a bowl or measuring up and whisk well. Serve with lettuce wraps or spring rolls or anything you’d like!
Yummy and summer fresh!!
Veggie Stir Fry
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 large zucchini, cut in quarters lengthwise and sliced
- 1 small cabbage, chopped
- 2 cups snow or snap peas, cut into bit size pieces
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 3 Tbsp reduced sodium tamari (or soy sauce), to taste
- 8 oz rice noodles, cooked according to package instructions and rinsed with cold water when done
- handful of cilantro, chopped
- handful of fresh mint, chopped
- half a cucumber, chopped
- large leaf lettuce
- dipping sauce of your choice, I used THIS
In a large saute pan, saute garlic in olive oil, water or broth for a couple of minutes. Add ginger and saute a minute more. Add remaining ingredients in stir fry section. Cover, opening to stir occasionally, until everything is done to your likeness.
Meanwhile, prepare rice noodles and all the fixins – each in their own bowl. Place all the bowls on the table. Each person can fill their own lettuce wraps – I started with the rice noodles, topped with the veggie stir fry, followed by cilantro, mint, cucumber, and finally some of the peanut dipping sauce. FANTASTIC!