A delicious soup that is an easy crowd pleaser. Add some bread on the side and you’ve got a great meal. Consider doubling it to stock your freezer with some yummy soup!
- 1 onion
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 1/2 cups water/broth, depending on your salt preference – I did about 2/3 broth, 1/3 water
- 1 can white beans (I used unsalted)
- 3/4 cup brown rice (uncooked)
- 2 (15 oz) cans diced tomatoes or 2 lbs of tomatoes, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped (optional – my daughter prefers without)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, stems discarded; leaves chopped
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
In a soup pot, saute onion for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute a few minutes more. Add all other ingredients except Swiss chard and basil. Bring to a boil and simmer until rice is tender (about 45 minute – 1 hour). Add Swiss chard and simmer 5 more minutes. Add basil. Stir well and serve.
Based on this recipe.