This was delicious and paired nicely with Joe’s Chili. You wouldn’t have guessed it was gluten free!
- 2 Tbsp ground flax meal
- 6 Tbsp warm water
- 1 cup almond milk (I used unsweetened original)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups corn meal
- 1 cup oat flour (I processed rolled oats to make this)
- 1/4 cup almond flour (you could process almonds to make this)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil or oil of your choice (you can taste the coconut if you use coconut oil)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
Combine flax and water in a small bowl. Combine almond milk and vinegar in a 2 cup measuring cup or medium bowl. Set aside a few minutes while you prepare the next step.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine corn meal through paprika and stir well.
Dump the flax-water mixture into the almond milk mixture. Add melted coconut oil and maple syrup. Stir well. If your coconut oil solidifies, heat up a bit.
Add the liquids to the dry mixture and stir until combined. Prepare your pan (I used a glass pie pan) with a light greasing. Pour mixture into the pan and bake about 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Based on this recipe.