These are delicious not-too-sweet muffins that are perfect for your fall apple bounty. Makes about 14 – 15 muffins.
- 1 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 3 Tbsp warm water
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup succanat or other natural sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce (Since we have so many apples, I threw two cored apples, with skins, in my vitamix and processed while tamping on 5 for a bit until the consistency of applesauce)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 medium apple, cored and diced
Combine ground flax and water in a small bowl and set aside.
Prepare a cupcake pan as you prefer. Preheat oven to 375.
Combine flour, oats, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg in a mixing bowl and mix well.
Add applesauce, melted coconut oil, vanilla and flax-water mixture. Stir until everything is combined. Add diced apple and stir until just combined.
Fill muffins about 1/2 to 2/3 full. Bake for 14 – 18 minutes or until done (slightly browned and toothpick comes out clean). Enjoy!!