A delicious and creamy soup as the temperatures are dropping!
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked an hour ahead of time if possible
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 gloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped (I used green since that’s what I had but red would be awesome)
- 1 1/2 cups sweet potatoes or potatoes, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 lbs tomatoes, chopped (or one large can of diced tomatoes)
- 3/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- dash cayenne, optional
- dash white pepper, optional
- fresh ground black pepper
- salt, to taste (at least 1/4 tsp if chickpeas are unsalted)
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups veggie broth, divided
- 1 1/2 cups greens of your choice, chopped (I used Swiss chard; spinach or kale would work too!)
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
Soak cashews in warm water and set aside.
In a large soup pot, saute onion for a few minutes. Add garlic and saute 2 minutes more. Add carrots through bay leaves and 5 cups of the veggie broth. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, until veggies are tender.
Drain cashews and dump into a blender with 1 cup of the veggie broth. Blend well until completely smooth – several minutes. Add cashew cream to soup.
Add greens and chickpeas and cook until greens are done. Serve & enjoy!
Modified from an Oh She Glows recipe.