A perfect sauce for dipping – faux meatballs, fritters, chickpea nuggets. Whatever you’d like!
- olive oil, optional
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 (or more) of a poblano pepper, diced (or hot pepper of your choice)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup plain tomato sauce/puree
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- optional: freshly ground white or black pepper
- optional: 1/8 tsp cayenne
Saute onion, cumin and salt on low for about 15 minutes. Add garlic and hot pepper and saute a few minutes longer. Add tomato paste, tomato puree, vinegar, and water and simmer gently for about 7 minutes. Puree in a blender or with an immersion blender. Taste and add more heat (ground white or black pepper and/or cayenne) as needed. Serve warm for dipping!
Modified from a Vegan Soul Kitchen recipe.