So, I love the concept of amaranth, but haven’t found a way to prepare it as a side (like rice or quinoa) that I like. So, these are perfect!
- 1/2 cup amaranth, rinsed
- 1 cup veggie broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 2 cans black beans, drained
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- if beans are unsalted: 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup flour of your choice (I used spelt); breadcrumbs would work, too!
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (I made my own by processing 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut with 1/2 cup water and then straining using a paint strainer bag or nut bag)
- 1/4 cup roasted red pepper
Cook amaranth in veggie broth and water with paprika and thyme. Simmer until done and all water is absorbed.
In a mixing bowl combine all ingredients in first group with the cooked amaranth. Use a masher to smush the beans up. Add flour as need to make a thick batter. It will be very wet and not as dry as most veggie burger mixtures. Preheat oven to 400. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment and a light spray of oil. Form patties and place on baking sheet. Bake about 20 – 25 minutes on each side, flipping carefully.
While they are baking, use a blender to prepare the sauce with the coconut milk and roasted red pepper, pureed until smooth.
Serve burgers with sauce on top. Yum.
Modified from this recipe as inspiration.