So, the magic of chili is you can put in really whatever you want. This delicious mixture of ingredients was delightful.
- 3/4 uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- if you want heat: 1 jalapeno (I left this out)
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 big can or 2 small cans diced tomatoes (or 2 lbs tomatoes, chopped)
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 medium or 2 small zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste – my beans were unsalted, back off to 1/2 tsp if your beans are salted
- ground black pepper
- 2 cans black beans, drained
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- garnishes, if you want – fresh tomatoes, fresh avocado
Prepare quinoa separately according to package directions.
In a soup pot, saute onion in water or oil or dry until soft. Add garlic and spices (and jalapeno) and saute a bit more. Add everything else except corn and cilantro. Bring to a boil, turn down, and simmer until everything is done to your liking.
Add cooked quinoa, corn, and cilantro. Serve. Garnish with extra cilantro if you want – or anything else you have in the house. I tossed a few fresh tomato chunks on top. I totally meant to add some avocado, but forgot!
Modified from this recipe.