This was our Halloween soup. YUM. My husband (who wasn’t home in time to eat with us) texted me while I was out trick or treating with our daughter, “The soup was really good!” You know it’s good when it warrants a text from a hubby not inclined to text. 😉
I based this recipe off of a Happy Herbivore recipe with some modifications.
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups onions, quartered and sliced thinly
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled if you wish and cut in 1/2″ cubes
- 8 cups liquid – I did about 6 broth and 2 water to get the right saltiness
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 12 oz bunch kale, stems removed and finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp white miso or another mellow miso (optional)
Saute onions in olive oil, broth or water until softening. Add sweet potatoes, liquid, and spices and simmer until sweet potatoes are just about tender. Add kale and simmer a little longer until kale and sweet potatoes are tender. Add miso and stir well but do not simmer (it destroys some of the nutritious properties if you boil miso).