I’m always on the lookout for another veggie burger. This one seemed like a good option and it came out GREAT (with some modifications). This made about 9 veggie burgers – I froze half for easy meals later!
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 cups diced onions
- 1 heaping cup diced red pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans black beans, drained (I used unsalted)
- 2 cups walnuts, soaked in water for 15 minutes or so, then drained
- 1 cup corn (fresh or defrosted)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 Tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp reduced sodium tamari or Bragg’s Liquid Aminos (reduce and do to taste if your beans are salted)
- 1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
Soak walnuts in water.
If you have the time and want to, saute the carrots, onions, red pepper, and garlic until starting to soften.
In a food processor, pulse black beans until mashed. Transfer to a large bowl. Process walnuts (drained!) until finely ground, but don’t make walnut butter. Add to the bowl.
Preheat oven to 375. Add everything else to the bowl and mix well. Form patties and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (I didn’t – but should have!!). Do NOT crowd to allow for easier flipping (another strike against me). If you need to, use two baking sheets. Bake 20 minutes and then carefully flip. Bake another 20 minutes. Allow to cool and firm up a bit before serving as you wish!