Our CSA box this past week had 6 small green peppers in it, so I decided to make up a stuffed peppers recipe to use them all up. This would be wonderful with any color bell pepper! If you have 6 LARGE green peppers, you will want to double the filling so that you have enough!!
Also, important note: If you don’t have the time to make the quinoa and lentils, then stuff, then bake it all, bake the empty green peppers while the other stuff is cooking, then stuff and bake for just a bit more. 🙂
- 1/2 cup quinoa, cooked ahead of time to make about 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup green lentils, cooked ahead of time to make about 1 – 1 1/2 cups cooked lentils (or sub in a can of lentils here!)
- 1 bunch spinach, stems removed, and wilted in a pot of boiling water
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 jar pasta sauce of your choice, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 6 small bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise
Prepare the quinoa, lentils and spinach ahead of time. Then put cooked quinoa, cooked lentils, wilted spinach, salt, 1 cup of the pasta sauce, garlic powder and oregano in a large bowl. Stir until well mixed.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare bell peppers by cutting in half lengthwise and removing the seeds and white membranes, but keeping the stems (see pictures). First fill the peppers to the top with the mixture. Then, with the remaining mixture, fill them overflowing until you’ve used up the mixture. Top with remaining pasta sauce. Bake about 1 hr 10 minutes or until the peppers are done to your liking.