I’m beginning to think that cashew cream (aka pureed cashews and water) with some lemon juice is always going to make a winning pasta sauce combination. This particularly combination was inspired by this recipe. I paired this pasta dish with a green salad.
- 12 oz whole wheat rotini or pasta of your choice (if you would like a bigger veggie to pasta ratio, reduce to 8 – 10 oz)
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked ahead of time in hot water if you can
- 2 cups veggie broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/4-1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil (or 2 tsp dried)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, diced (the smaller the faster it will cook)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and chopped
Prepare pasta according to package instructions.
In a blender, puree cashews, veggie broth, water, lemon juice, and basil.
In a large pan saute onion and carrots in olive oil or water or broth. After about 10 minutes, add garlic and saute a few minutes more. Add pureed sauce, cover, and simmer while washing and preparing kale. Add kale and simmer until carrots and kale are tender. Stir well into drained pasta and enjoy!