As you might know, I’m on a raw kale kick recently. This salad is awesome, with a sweet dressing showcasing apples and dried cranberries (or raisins). YUM. Based on this recipe.
When I made this, I doubled the dressing recipe to use as a sauce for our zucchini cakes. Written below is NOT doubled, but if you want some extra dressing or a sauce for something, consider doubling it!
I forgot to take a picture once I tossed it all together and served. 😦 It was pretty!
- 1 large bunch kale (or 1 1/2 smaller bunches), stems removed and torn into small pieces
- 1 large apple – divided (about 1 1/2 – 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup PLUS 2 Tbsp dried cranberries (I used apple juice sweetened) or raisins
- 1 cup celery, sliced (about 3 stalks)
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped – divided
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp water, or as needed
Prepare dressing by pureeing half the apple, 2 Tbsp of the cranberries, half the walnuts, mustard, vinegar, salt and water (start with less). Blend until smooth, adding enough water to get a creamy dressing consistency.
In a bowl, combine the kale and dressing and mix well. Add remaining apple (sliced), remaining cranberries, remaining walnuts, and celery. Toss and serve cold. Keep refrigerated until serving.