I’m always game to try a new veggie burger! Modified this one a bit to suit my tastes and it turned out fantastic. It stuck together really well – well enough to grill.
- 1/4 cup quinoa, rinsed then cooked according to package instructions (makes about 1 cup cooked)
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato (1 small sweet potato, peeled and steamed or boiled, or however you prefer to cook it)
- 3 cups black beans (2 cans); I used unsalted
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 3 Tbsp ketchup (or bbq sauce)
- 3 Tbsp reduced sodium tamari (if your beans are salted, you will want to back off on this)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup oats, ground up some (not fully to flour)
You might as well use a food processor for all of the chopping since you’ll have it out!
Pulse the cooked quinoa and sweet potatoes in the food processor and dump into a large bowl. Pulse the black beans until well smashed but not pureed. Add to bowl. Add all remaining ingredients (using the food processor to chop as needed) in the bowl. Stir well with a wooden spoon. Form into patties – I made 8. Bake, grill or pan fry, about 5 – 10 minutes on each side or until browned and done. Top with your favorite condiments (I used grilled onions, avocado and a little leftover tahini lemon sauce) and serve with or without bread/bun!