Follow us on facebook. Like us HERE.
So, I can’t think of sloppy joes, without this Adam Sandler song (and my friends from high school) coming to mind. If you don’t want to listen to the whole thing, get right to the point and skip to 1:15 in the video. That’s what plays through my head while making sloppy joes. 🙂
Modified from this recipe.
- 1 1/2 cups green lentils, rinsed**
- 3 cups water**
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- olive oil or water or veggie broth for sauteeing
- 1 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt, or to taste
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp honey, or to taste
- 14 oz tomato sauce (I used unsalted, adjust salt accordingly if using salted)
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp reduced sodium tamari or soy sauce
**Chef’s Note** For faster preparation, either: (1) use two cans of lentils (drained) and skip right to the second step. or (2) cook lentils as directed and add in onion and garlic while cooking and skip the saute step.
Bring lentils and water to a boil. Simmer on low until soft, about 45 minutes. Drain.
Saute onion and garlic in olive oil or water or veggie broth. Once soft, add spices and stir well. Then add cooked lentils and remaining ingredients. Heat and stir until consistency is to your sloppy liking. Serve on bread or rolls or in a pita to contain the mess!