Follow us on facebook. Like us HERE.
This is based on my chickpea taco recipe, which we enjoyed the flavor of but my husband found a bit dry and those darn chickpeas kept rolling out of the taco shells! They were awesome. I also served these with Fiesta Rice.
- 2 cups green lentils, rinsed well
- 4 cups water
- 3 Tbsp reduced sodium tamari or soy sauce, or to taste
- 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- taco shells (I used the Garden of Eatin’ blue taco shells)
- shredded lettuce
- any other taco toppings of your choice
Bring lentils and water to a boil, then simmer, covered for about 40 minutes or until lentils are soft. If there is still water remaining, drain. (If you need to add more water, add just a little bit.)
While cooking (if you want to expedite the process), combine tamari through oregano.
Once the lentils are soft, drain if necessary, then mash a bit with a potato masher. Add seasonings and stir well. Taste and add additional tamari as needed. Serve in taco shells topped with lettuce or anything else!