Another yummy Indian inspired dish! I served this with brown rice (make about 1 1/2 cups dry to go with this amount) and a side of Aloo Saag.
I based this on this recipe and tweaked a few things to my liking.
- 4 tsp (1 Tbsp + 1 tsp) ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp cinammon
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 heaping Tbsp ginger, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 42 oz canned tomatoes (1 1/2 large cans or 3 small cans); If it were summer I would use fresh – I used salted
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste; it will greatly depend if other ingredients are salted
- 3 cans chickpeas (I used unsalted)
- 1 tsp agave
- 1 tsp tamarind concentrate (if you have it, skip it if you don’t)
Heat coconut oil in large nonstick pot. Saute onion until soft. While sauteing, combine spice mixture in a small bowl. Add garlic and ginger and saute a minute more. Add spice mixture and saute another minute. Add cilantro and saute another minute. Add tomatoes (if using canned, drain about half of the juice off and reserve, adding if you feel necessary later), black pepper, salt, chickpeas, and agave. Simmer, covered, until tomatoes are cooked down (if fresh) or about 10 minutes. Stir in tamarind concentrate. Serve, garnishing with additional cilantro if you wish.