So yummy! The addition of “cashew cream” (aka raw cashews pureed with water) makes this soup oh so delightful and creamy! Based on this recipe. Serve with some bread.
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked in boiling water while you prepare the rest of the soup, then drained
- 1 cup water
- olive oil, for sauteing
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Fresh black pepper
- 3/4 cup brown rice, rinsed *see Chef’s Note*
- 3 celery stalks, halved lengthwise then chopped
- 2 medium carrots, halved lengthwise then chopped (yield about 1 cup)
- 8 cups vegetable broth (with maybe less bouillon so that it’s not too salty)
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed (1 LARGE can)
- 1 bunch kale, ribs removed and chopped finely
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup chopped green onion, green parts only
Soak cashews in boiling water.
In a large soup pot, heat olive oil. Saute onion until soft, then add garlic and saute a minute more. Add spices, rice, celery, carrots, broth, and chickpeas. Cook until rice (and veggies) are nearly tender. Add kale. Drain cashews and put cashews with 1 cup water in a blender (or in a measuring cup for an immersion blender). Puree until smooth. Add to soup. Cook until kale is tender. Add green onions. Serve with bread!
**Chef’s note: If you want to speed up the process, start cooking the rice in water as you do the first steps. Once you are ready to add the rice to the soup, drain and add in. Cook the rice the rest of the way in the soup.