Follow us on facebook. Like us HERE.
Yum! What a great combination of flavors. It was super fun cooking tonight with my friend Susan, too. Good times all around. 🙂 (It was so good, I totally forgot to take a picture until I got seconds… and I didn’t fill my bowl that time so my picture didn’t turn out how a nice full bowl would look.)
I was inspired by this recipe and actually changed less of it than I usually do.
- 3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- Olive oil for sauteing
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into 3/4″ cubes
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 6 cups veggie broth (if your beans are salted, you might want to back off on the bouillon: water ratio)
- 1 can black beans, drained
- ground black pepper
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1/2 bunch spinach, stems removed
- Toppings: chopped avocado, chopped tomatoes, chopped cilantro
In a medium saucepan, cook quinoa according to package instructions.
In a large soup pot, heat olive oil and saute onion and garlic until soft. Add sweet potato and saute for another 5 minutes. Add spices and veggie broth and simmer (covered) until potatoes are tender. Add cooked quinoa, black beans, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and spinach. Simmer until spinach is wilted and everything is heated through.
Everyone can add their own toppings as they wish!! Enjoy!