This is based on this recipe. I was intrigued by it, but wasn’t sure how good it would turn out. I was pleasantly surprised! Serve over brown rice (I made 1 cup dry to go with this amount).
- Olive oil for sauteing
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbsp ginger, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large (28 oz) can diced tomatoes (I usually use unsalted, but I couldn’t find that in the large can, so this can had salt)
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed & drained (no salt added)
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1+ cup chopped cucumber, seeds removed
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt, or to taste
In a saute pan, heat olive oil. Saute onion, ginger and garlic until onion is soft (about 5 minutes). Add tomatoes, chickpeas, garam masala, and cayenne. Simmer (uncovered) for about 5 minutes. Add cilantro, cucumber, lemon juice, and salt and cook until just heated through. Serve over brown rice.