This recipe is a vegetarian version of Dan’s grandfather’s chili recipe. I think it tastes just marvelous served over baked potatoes. Yum!
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- olive oil for sauteing
- 3 stalks celery, cut lengthwise and chopped
- 2 carrots, cut lengthwise and chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 28 oz of chopped tomatoes – either fresh or canned
- 2 cans kidney beans
- 1 can black beans
- Handful of cilantro, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 cup red wine (optional)
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 – 3 Tbsp chili powder (amount depends on how spicy your chili powder is and how spicy you want your chili)
- bouillon cube or salt to taste, depending if your beans/tomatoes are salted
Saute the onion and garlic in olive oil until translucent. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil and simmer for an hour, making sure the veggies are all soft before turning off the stove. Discard the bay leaf.
Serve over baked potatoes if you wish. You can also top with avocados and faux sour cream.