This is modified from a Moosewood recipe. I make about 1 1/2 cups dried quinoa to go with this.
I used to roast the veggies open, but it dries them out, so I’ve opted to use foil packets this time.
- 1 large onion, cut in 1/4 inch slices
- 2 zucchini, cut in 1/4 inch thick semi circles
- 1 really big sweet potato, microwaved whole for 4 minutes, then cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large red pepper, cut in 1/4 inch strips
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne, or to taste
- 1 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients. Use 2 – 3 foil packets to contain all of the veggies, using this process for each: Place a large (2 – 3 foot long) piece of foil on your counter. Put a portion of the veggies in the center. Bring the long ends of the foil in towards the center and roll a few times to seal. Then carefully roll or fold in the exposed ends. Repeat with another packet or two. Place on a baking sheet (in case it leaks, which it shouldn’t if you sealed it well) and bake for 20 – 30 minutes. (Cooking time depends on size of pieces.)
Serve over quinoa.