A variation on a recipe I read here. Filling. A great one dish meal, although you could pair it with a fresh green salad, if you want! (Of course I had to take a picture of the first piece I cut out, which, predictably, fell apart!)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4-6 ounces cremini mushrooms (or mushrooms of choice), sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large carrots, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 2 potatoes chopped, about 14 oz
- 2 stalks celery sliced 1/4 inch wide
- 2-3 cups chopped cauliflower, about 1/2 regular head or one small head
- 1+ cup fresh green beans trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium tamari or soy sauce
- salt, to taste, if needed
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 recipe pastry for large double-crust pie or 1 recipe of pizza dough
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Heat oil in large nonstick saucepan or soup pot. Add onions, mushrooms and garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Add carrots, potatoes and celery, and cook a bit more. Add cauliflower, green beans and veggie broth. Simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes or until everything is just tender.
In a glass measuring cup, mix water, cornstarch and tamari and whisk until well combined. Add to pot and cook a few minutes with the cover off, until the sauce thickens some. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
Prepared pastry or dough. Line the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan with 2/3 of the dough. Pour the veggie mixture in the dish. Put the remaining dough on top, attempting to seal the edges as best you can. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the crust is baked to your liking.