This is a household favorite! It was inspired by this recipe, but has since diverged. http://veganizzm.com/post/4409367066/creamy-vegan-fettucini-alfredo-with-zucchini-carrot
Raw cashews pureed makes a wonderfully creamy sauce, rich in protein! You have to try it to believe it. I don’t think the finished product tastes anything like cashews either.
I’ve posted this recipe before with a more divergent preparation of veggies. Tonight, I went back to basics and stuck with the carrot and zucchini ribbons. I really do think the “ribbons” of veggies are totally worth the effort.
Creamy Pasta Recipe
Veggies Ingredient Options, choose one of these or make up your own:
- OPTION 1: 3 medium carrots and 1 zucchini, in ribbons by using a peeler (Tonight’s Version) – see picture below of what that looks like
- OPTION 2: 3 medium carrots and 1 small butternut squash, in ribbons by using a peeler
- OPTION 3: 3 medium carrots, sliced into thin circles and 1 medium acorn squash, cubed
- 8 – 10 oz of whole grain pasta (angel hair or pasta of choice)
- juice of 1 a lemon (about 3-4 Tablespoons)
- 1/2 – 1 cup (or more) hot water
- 1.5 cup raw cashews (I buy the cashew pieces which are less expensive than whole)
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast (super inexpensive at our local Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage)
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Handful of fresh basil (about 1/4 cup or more), thinly sliced
- Cook pasta
- Saute the veggies until soft, using a lid to help accelerate the process
- In a blender, puree lemon juice, water, cashews, nutritional yeast, salt and olive oil. Add additional water as need to puree into a creamy sauce. [If you have the foresight, put all the ingredients in a blender ahead of time, allowing the cashews to soften up before pureeing.]
- Toss pasta, veggies, creamy sauce, and basil. Serve immediately.
Yup, still fantastic!