Another creamy soup to warm you up when the temperatures are dropping! Serve with bread and possibly a salad or veggie on the side.
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, halved or quartered lengthwise, and thinly sliced
- 4 (or more) cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme or 1/2 Tbsp dried thyme
- Ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 3 cans white beans, drained (eg cannellini, great northern) OR 2 cups dried beans, soaked overnight and cooked in crock pot
- 6 cups broth (To lower the sodium a bit, I used 6 cups of water with 2 1/2 large Rapunzel sea salt & herb bouillon cubes, which is actually less than the 3 cubes that it calls for with 6 cups of water)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small bunch kale (8 oz or so), ribs removed and thinly sliced and then chopped
In a soup pot, saute onion and carrot in olive oil for about 10 – 15 minutes.
Add garlic, thyme, black pepper, and red pepper flakes and saute for another minute.
Add beans, broth and bay leaf and bring to a boil.
Simmer until everything is tender.
Remove bay leaf and puree with immersion blender or regular blender.
Add kale and cook for another 10 – 15 minutes or until kale is tender.
Serve with yummy bread and enjoy!