We created this recipe to accompany Squash and Leek Risotto. It’s pretty simple to prepare and can bake while you are making the risotto.
- 14 oz package of firm or extra firm tofu, pressed
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup leeks, sliced thinly
- 4 oz. frozen shitake mushrooms, thawed
- fresh thyme, sprinkle – about 1 tsp
- fresh sage, sprinkle – about 1 tsp
- black pepper
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp sherry
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut tofu into 4 equal slabs. (Note: this is not what the picture shows, but it bakes better in 4 (thin) rectangular slabs). Drizzle about 2 Tbsp of the olive oil in a 9 x 9 glass baking pan. Tilt the pan to spread. Arrange tofu as sketched below:
Top with minced garlic, sliced leeks, thawed sliced shitakes, and spices (thyme, sage, black pepper). Drizzle soy sauce, sherry and another Tbsp of olive oil on top. Bake for about 45 minutes.
Served with Squash and Leek Risotto: