Follow us on facebook. Like us HERE.
I’ve made a lot of different veggie burgers. Many were when I was eating eggs and they all generally worked well. Since I’ve made the transition to plant based, it’s been trickier finding a good veggie burger recipe that cooks well, stays together, and has a nice texture. THIS ONE DOES!!!
I made a double batch of these last night, half to cook and half to freeze for an easy meal later.
This requires a food processor, so you might as well use it for lots of the chopping! I processed each thing one by one, not all together, so I could control how finely chopped each thing gets.
- 2.5 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup onion, processed into a fine dice (about 1 small onion)
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup oats, processed into oat flour
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs (about 3 slices of whole wheat bread processed into a fine crumb)
- 1 cup grated carrots (use the grater attachment on your processor)
- 1 cup cooked black beans, rinsed and roughly chopped (use the pulse button on your processor)
- 1/4 cup parsley (or other fresh herb that your prefer), processed
- 1/3 cup almonds, processed
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, processed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp reduced sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- black pepper
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp salt (less if your beans are salted) – salt to taste OR an additional Tbsp reduced sodium tamari or soy sauce
Make some “flax eggs” but putting the ground flax seeds in a bowl with the warm water and allow to set for at least 10 minutes. Saute the onion and garlic in a bit of olive oil until soft. **Chef’s note*** Unless you are extremely garlic/onion sensitive, you can skip this step and just throw it into the bowl raw! (I discovered this by doing it that way one day in a rush….)
Put all ingredients into a large bowl and mix well. Check seasonings/salt and modify as needed.
Form patties with the mixture, really packing them together. I made 7.
Put a bit of olive oil into a nonstick pan (I used the same pan I sauteed the onion in, but I rinsed it out first), place 4 burgers in the pan and cook on medium heat, with a lid on until browned. Flip and repeat.
Serve immediately with your favorite burger fixins!
Based on this recipe.